Save Money Saving Energy at Home
Are you looking for ways to save money saving energy at home? Maybe to save for that family vacation, buy a newer car, save more for your children’s education, or put money away for your retirement. By saving a few dollars here and there over time is a lot easier than coming out of pocket with a lump sum, right?! Here are 15 tips to help you not only by saving energy at home, but will save you money now. Over time, this can add up to a lot of savings for your household to put your money where you choose.
15 Ways to Save Money by
Saving Energy at Home
1. Covering Drafts under your Door – This is very easy, many roll up towels and put them in front of the door. If you don’t want that unsightly look you can also purchase door frame weather stripping. Some are magnetic, as well as just putting them under the door that keep the drafts out from either side of the door.
2. Changing your Furnace Filters – Changing your furnace filters regularly not only provides cleaner air, but it also saves energy at home. You can buy the disposable filters or you can purchase filters you reuse to save you extra money. You can spray them off, let them dry, and you are good to go.
3. Run your Fans in Reverse – By running your fans in reverse in the winter you can circulate the warm air that rises to the ceiling keeping your house warmer.
4. Turn Down your Water Heater – Turning down your water heater can not only help with not drying out your skin as much, but can also save energy at home as well.
5. Install Storm Windows and Doors – This is obviously more costly, but worth it over the long run. If at this time you wouldn’t be able to do this, you can also benefit from the next money and energy saving tip.
6. Install Plastic Window Insulation – During the colder months if you don’t have storm windows and doors, this is a great investment of your time as well as purchasing the plastic window insulation kits. I usually purchase the ones that use a hair dryer to make sure it is sealed closing out all drafts.
7. Turn Down your Thermostat – By turning down your thermostat at nighttime as well as when you are not at home not only makes a difference, but most don’t even notice the change. If you need to, just use an extra blanket at nighttime or wear warmer clothing, which brings me to the next tip. One of the best ways to save money saving energy at home.
8. Put on Warmer Clothing – By even turning down your thermostat a few degrees while at home, put on warmer clothing. Wearing an extra sweater or sweatshirt can take the chill away, and then just take it off if you get to warm.
9. Use Caulking and Weather stripping – If you have some windows that are bringing in drafts, purchase some caulking and seal them to be sure there are no drafts coming in that way.
10. Plug Electronics in a Power strip – Not only are you keep your electronics save, you won’t have to continuously plug and unplug your electronics. Just remember to turn off the power switch for the extra savings.
11. Wash Laundry in Cold Water – There are many laundry detergents that now are used to wash with cold water. If the clothes are not soiled that much I just used the cold water setting normally, and then as needed I use the warm or hot setting.
12. Shorten the Length of your Showers – Not only can you save on your electric by shortening the length of your showers, you can also save on your water bills as well.
13. Avoid Over Drying your Clothes – Remember to remove your clothes from the dryer when they are dry. By letting them dry and not taking them out can cause your clothes to get wrinkly. Many people tend to just turn it back on to get the wrinkles out that can eat up even more energy. Learning any new ideas so far? All of these are wonderful ways to save money saving energy at home.
14. Air Dry Clothes – If at all possible not only will it save on the lifespan of your clothing, but it also saves energy. In the summer time, you can hang them outside to dry, or if it is winter you can also air dry them on a laundry rack as well. Many times, I will just hang them on hangers on my laundry rack to save space.
15. Let your Dishwasher Air Dry – When your dishes are being washed the water is very hot sterilizing them, and if you leave them in your dishwasher a little while longer, they will dry on there own. Use these 15 tips to get you started in saving energy at home, and gradually add more for even greater savings. All of these are great ways to save money saving energy at home. Any questions feel free to give Your Local Roofing Company a call at (704) 441-0413.
We are an accredited Better Business Bureau business. Check out Your Local Roofing Company on the BBB. You can also check us out on Facebook with more ideas to save money saving energy at home or ask a question there!